The Depressed Cake Shop Houston 2018 needs your help! Six years ago, Jody Stevens established the Houston version of this international pop-up cake shop, which sells gray confections in order to stimulate discussion around depression, and the bake sale and celebrity chef cake auction have become a beloved event for our city. In anticipation of over 800 attendees this year, we're aiming to recruit over 200 "Depressed" dessert donations this year! Let's do this!
Read below for some guidelines, and sign up to donate below! Thank you for your contribution in the fight to erase the stigma associated with mental illness.
1. DCS Houston 2018 will gladly accept donations of 2 dozen or more items (cookies, cupcakes, cake pops, cake balls, lollipops, cake to be sliced, brownies, blondies).
2. All baked goodies MUST incorporate gray or black elements (icing, sprinkles) to fit with the Depressed Cake Shop theme. Please see the DCS Houston Facebook page for inspiration. Keep in mind that everything will be held at room temperature for up to 6 hours.
3. Packaging: IHWSH is proud to be a supporter of minimal waste. If possible, please utilize cardboard, paper or recyclable/reusable container to transport your donation to us. We can display your items and the event attendees will be provided a bakery box to fill up as they shop! (If you prefer to package your items individually or otherwise, please be mindful of our goals to minimize use of plastic and other non-biodegradable materials.)
4. While you may provide business cards or stickers with your items, we cannot guarantee that this information will be accurately transmitted with your items. Pamphlets and other signage are discouraged as these will not be displayed.
5. On Sunday, October 7th, please drop off your donation between 9:00 - 11:30 to Silver Street Studio by 11:00 AM. We will email you a point of contact to call or text on the morning of the event.
6. PLEASE recruit friends and family to bake. The more, the merrier! If you would like to volunteer to participate at the event, please click here to sign up, and our volunteer coordinator Michelle Brown will be in touch! We hope you enjoy contributing to DCS Houston - we've seen the gamut of creative, fun, wonky, silly - and it is all memorable. DCS Houston aims to raise awareness one gray baked treat at a time, with your help.
Depressed Cake Shop 2018
Silver Street Studios
2000 Edwards Street
Houston, TX 77007