ABOUT I'll Have What She's Having
Educate ourselves and our community on the multiple barriers women must overcome to maintain their health and well-being.
Identify non-profit partners promoting women's health and raise funds for and awareness of their vital work.
Mentor the next generation of Houston's hospitality industry leaders by offering up-and-coming cooks and entrepreneurs the opportunity to network with established stars of the Bayou City's vibrant restaurant community.
Partner with professionals in science, medicine, sports and the arts to highlight the diverse coalition of women prepared to fight for a Texan's access to high quality, affordable health care and reproductive rights.
In 2017, we began. State and national currents are carrying women’s health into dangerous waters, on a scale unseen in our lifetimes.
Since 2011, after the Texas legislature slashed public funding for family planning, 82 clinics have closed, leaving an unfilled gap in care.
Texas’ maternal mortality rate doubled in the last 2 years and is among the highest in the developed world.
Despite a 2016 Supreme Court ruling Texas’ attacks on Roe v. Wade as unconstitutional, countrywide efforts to erode national law protecting a woman’s access to safe abortion continue to escalate.
In rural America, hospitals are closing their labor and delivery units, while a nationwide shortage of OB-Gyn physicians threatens mothers in urban centers as well. 147 of 254 Texas counties do not have an obstetrician.
State and federal threats to cut Medicaid endanger pregnant women, more than half of whose births are funded by Medicaid, as well as uninsured women with breast, cervical and other cancers.
Mental illness is on the rise across our nation, with suicide claiming the beloved lives of some of our community. The need for more public awareness and more funding for the treatment of depression and anxiety has never better greater.
We are the message that this multi-faceted attack on women’s health will not be accepted. Houston’s best-known women chefs have joined with the hospitality industry’s most gifted women: up-and-coming cooks, prominent restaurateurs, captivating stars of the cocktail and wine worlds. We are backed by artists, writers, physicians and other professionals. Our coalition is broad - like the problem, and growing - as is the urgency of the cause, a cause which is personal for each one of us. Nearly all of us are uninsured, or have been in the past, and recognize how the devastating trends in medicine today are going to destroy families and communities by harming us – we the mothers, wives, sisters, aunts and daughters of Texas and America.
The member-participants of IHWSH aim to raise $1 million in an effort to shine a light on the need for more substantial funding for women’s health care. The founding members include Lori Choi, Karen Man, Lisa Seger, Monica Pope and Erin Smith, pursuing change with a growing team, united in their passion for food, community and women’s health.
MEET THE IHWSH WOMEN
Monica Pope, Sparrow Cookshop
Erin Smith, Feges BBQ
Lisa Seger, Blue Heron Farm
• Keisha Griggs, Bocage Catering, Ate Boutique Kitchen •
• Benchawan Jabthong, Street to Kitchen Thai •
• Laurie Harvey, Ladies of Libation •
• Kris Sowell, Ladies of Libation •
• Marcella Arreaga, Public Services • Elyse Blechman • Molly Brown, Helen Greek Food and Wine • Rachel Buie • Carla Cardini • Lainey Collum • Sheridan Fay • Lindsay Heffron • Paulina Jaus, Better Luck Tomorrow • Sarah Keck, Coltivare • Chelsea Magee, Star Fish • Alec Marmon, Star Fish • Haley McFarland • Kate Mechura • Hannah Mitchell • Cat Nguyen • Niken Prabanto, Greenway Coffee • Lindsay Rae, Grand Prize • Christina Ramey, Eight Row Flint • Rebecca Ramsey • Ashley Rhoads • Julie Rogers, Nancy's Hustle • Linda Salinas • Lindsay Schmitt, Nobie's • Izabela Stola-Lerma, Lei Low • Hannah Thalenberg • Monica Townsend • Vanessa Trevino Boyd• Emily Tucker, One-Fifth • Sarah Troxell, Nobie's • Caitlin Vann, Lei Low • Fallon Wright • Savannah Yeager, Eight Row Flint •
DINING ROOM TEAM:
• Elizabeth Harbour, The Dunlavy • Layne Cruz, Revival Market • Michelle Brown • Jordann Foreman, Underbelly Hospitality • Olivia Gordon • Sarah Lieberman, Dandelion Cafe • Meghan Lund • Bridget Paliwoda, Theodore Rex • Samantha Pounder, The Dunlavy • Emily Sheddan • Lexie Sheddan • Brittany Turcotte, Underbelly • Amber Vandagriff, Revival Market • Leonora Varvoutis, Coltivare • Dalia Zelko •
• Ting Bresnahan • Andrea Buford • Mimi Del Grande • Laurel Huffman • Tara Kelly • Karina Patterson • Tracy Vaught • Krissy White • Jenny Wolfe •
• Carla Gomez, PopRatio • Lindsey Brown, Lindsey Brown Public Relations • Chelsea Padon, Padon PR • Nuray Taylor, Lindsey Brown Public Relations • Ceci Norman • Amber Ambrose, Ambrose McDowell Communications • Lauren McDowell, Ambrose McDowell Communications • Amy Scott, A.E. Scott Designs Photography • Emily Friedlander •