ABOUT I'll Have What She's Having
- Educate ourselves and our community on the multiple threats to women's healthcare - from our state, region and country.
- Identify non-profit partners promoting women's health and raise funds for and awareness of their vital work.
- Mentor the next generation of Houston's hospitality industry leaders by offering up-and-coming cooks and entrepreneurs the opportunity to network with established stars of the Bayou City's vibrant restaurant community.
- Partner with professionals in science, medicine, sports and the arts to highlight the diverse coalition of women prepared to fight for a Texan's access to high quality, affordable health care and reproductive rights.
In 2017, we began. State and national currents are carrying women’s health into dangerous waters, on a scale unseen in our lifetimes.
- Since 2011, after the Texas legislature cut off public funding for family planning, 82 clinics have closed, leaving an unfilled gap in care.
- Texas’ maternal mortality rate doubled in the last 2 years and is the highest in the developed world.
- Despite a 2016 Supreme Court ruling Texas’ attacks on Roe v. Wade as unconstitutional, countrywide efforts to erode national law protecting a woman’s access to safe abortion continue to escalate.
- In rural America, hospitals are closing their labor and delivery units, while a nationwide shortage of OB-Gyn physicians threatens mothers in urban centers as well. 147 of 254 Texas counties do not have an obstetrician.
- State and federal threats to cut Medicaid endanger pregnant women, more than half of whose births are funded by Medicaid, as well as uninsured women with breast, cervical and other cancers.
We are the message that this multi-faceted attack on women’s health will not be accepted. Houston’s most well-known women chefs have joined with the hospitality industry’s most gifted women: up-and-coming cooks, prominent restaurateurs, captivating stars of the cocktail and wine worlds. We are backed by artists, writers and physicians. Our coalition is broad - like the problem, and growing - as is the urgency of the cause, a cause which is personal for each one of us. Nearly all of us are uninsured, or have been in the past, and recognize how the devastating trends in medicine today are going to destroy families and communities by harming us – we the mothers, wives, sisters, aunts and daughters of Texas and America.
Led by Lori Choi, a Houston-trained surgeon with her finger on the pulse of American public health, the IHWSH women aim to raise $1 million in an effort to shine a light on the need for more substantial funding for women’s health care. Choi is joined at the helm by veteran celebrity chef Monica Pope and on-the-rise chef Erin Smith, along with a team of women who are united in their passion for food, community and women’s health.
MEET THE IHWSH WOMEN
Monica Pope, Sparrow Cookshop
Erin Smith, Feges BBQ
Lisa Seger, Blue Heron Farm
Kris Sowell, Ladies of Libation
• Marcella Arreaga, Public Services • Elyse Blechman • Molly Brown, Helen Greek Food and Wine • Rachel Buie • Carla Cardini • Lainey Collum • Sheridan Fay • Lindsay Heffron • Paulina Jaus, Night Heron • Chelsea Magee, Star Fish • Alec Marmon, Star Fish • Haley McFarland • Kate Mechura, State Fare • Hannah Mitchell • Cat Nguyen • Niken Prabanto, Greenway Coffee • Lindsay Rae, Grand Prize • Christina Ramey, Eight Row Flint • Rebecca Ramsey • Ashley Rhoads • Julie Rogers, Night Heron • Linda Salinas • Lindsay Schmitt • Izabela Stola-Lerma, Lei Low • Hannah Thalenberg • Monica Townsend • Vanessa Trevino Boyd• Emily Tucker, One-Fifth, Canopy • Sarah Troxell, Nobie's • Caitlin Vann, Lei Low • Fallon Wright • Savannah Yeager, Eight Row Flint
DINING ROOM TEAM:
• Elizabeth Brown, the Dunlavy • Layne Cruz, Revival Market • Michelle Brown, Revival Market • Jordann Foreman, Underbelly • Olivia Gordon, Coltivare • Sarah Lieberman, Dandelion Cafe • Meghan Lund, Houston Dairymaids • Bridget Paliwoda, Theodore Rex • Emily Sheddan, Eight Row Flint • Lexie Sheddan, State Fare • Brittany Turcotte, Underbelly • Amber Vandagriff • Leonora Varvoutis • Savannah Yeager, Eight Row Flint • Dalia Zelko, The Ivy and James •
• Ting Bresnahan • Andrea Buford • Gracie Cavnar • Mimi Del Grande • Laurel Huffman • Tara Kelly • Karina Patterson • Tracy Vaught • Krissy White • Jenny Wolfe
• Carla Gomez, PopRatio • Lindsey Brown, Lindsey Brown Public Relations • Ceci Norman • Amber Ambrose, Ambrose McDowell Communications • Lauren McDowell, Ambrose McDowell Communications • Amy Scott, A.E. Scott Designs Photography • Emily Friedlander
PROFESSIONAL ADVISORY TEAM:
• Justine Fanarof, JD, MPH • Rachel Smith •
PHYSICIAN ADVISORY SQUAD:
• Reeta Achari, MD • Mary Brandt, MD • Lori Choi, MD • Concepcion R. Diaz-Arrastia, MD • Damla Karsan, MD • Vian Nguyen, MD • Sarah Weakley, MD • Codi Wiener, MD •